Mama’s Last Moments! 3.6.14
The events leading up to Mama’s death are very uncanny and transported me back to my Papa’s death in 1980. I was the last to see my Papa alive when I went into the room to greet him before taking my baby for a walk to get fresh air. Strangely enough when I got back from the walk and went in to find Papa dead and called Mama. She did not believe he was dead and when she came to the first thing she said “he never got any WATER…”
After my Race for Life walk for Cancer Research, I was fooling around on SM when I was overwhelmed by this strange feeling that caused the Tears to start and wouldn’t stop. So I went to bed, got up next morning and was working with Tom in the back garden. Balis called and updated me about Mama and I was not bothered like was usual. The blessed thing about that call from Balis is the fact that I heard Mama’s voice for the very last time. Balis said “Mama talk to your daughter nuh…” I could hear her in the background saying “ehn-hn…” over and over again! Then Andrea called and we chatted about everything including Mama, Ms Deans and Ms Lou… Nathan passed and Andrea asked if he wanted to speak to her auntie and Mass Papa Son said “not now”! I jokingly said to Andrea that he did not want to speak to me because I might ask him when they are getting married!
Throughout the day I was just tired, but I kept going until I retired to bed from sheer exhaustion. I already told my family I don’t answer phone after certain hours because it upsets my rest, so they can always leave a message if there is an emergency. The ringing of the phone got me out of my deep sleep and I automatically looked across at the clock. It was 12.20 and Dostan told me what was happening with Mama. I told him to keep me informed and went back to sleep. The phone rang again and Dostan said Mama was put in the vehicle, but it don’t make any sense so she was taken back out again. I knew this was the end of the road for Mama as she had decided to retire from all her life’s journeys. I got out of bed, called my Little Breda’s home and told them Mama was on her way home.
When I spoke to Andrea last night she told me about the poignant last moments that Mama had surrounded by her family as she entered the Promise Land relived of sufferings. Balis gave her 4 spoons of water and told her now you can’t say you did not get any water? Kadene prayed for Mama and she said “Amen”, so that means she was alert until the very last. Then she went off peacefully to sleep and be with her Maker. It really touched my heart and soul to know that Mama stuck to Christian faith until she drew her last breathe.
Mama was born into a Family who upheld Christian principles and values in 1924. She was christened, married and baptised at the Townhead Baptist Church and her children after her were also christened there. Mama will be having her final leg of her Home Coming Service at the Townhead Baptist Church where she fellowshipped with many from the communities. One of Mama’s favourite song was – “When Once I Found a Mothers’ Church…” Mama was born a Baptist, lived her life as a Baptist and died a Baptist and will be buried a Baptist! RIP Pearline Louise Chambers-Nembhard as we will soon come together to celebrate the life of one remarkable Woman who was Our Mother, Grand Mother, Great Grand, Auntie, Cousin, Friend, God Mother and all round Unique Individual who was put on this earth for a special purpose. You have fulfilled your roles and responsibilities and now gone on before Us to take your Rest!
From ALL the Persons whose lives you touched in any way!
MAMA LOU DIED AT HOME IN HER BED SURROUNDED BY FAMILY! SHE WAS A BAPTIST TO THE END!Mervelee Ratty Nembhard is with Bates Wells Braithwaite and 6 others at Me Yard.January 25, 2012
- Mervelee Ratty Nembhard Let me go call my little breda Decosie Nembhard aka AMLY! He’s been trying to get me?Edit or delete this
- Mervelee Ratty Nembhard Ta Chris Clarke! I still have notions to become a Writer one day? So I am perfecting my skills!1Edit or delete this
- Mervelee Ratty Nembhard Just going thru some papers & buck up JA £100.00! Wonder if it can buy Icymint back a Yard?1Edit or delete this
- Annette May Kellner Don’t worry , she has found a resting place. May her soul R.I.P1Delete or hide this
- Orville Murray This take me back to my mom’s passing. It is very hard losing your mother but I like how you take comfort knowing that she did not suffer and she just went ahead of us to be with her maker. May her soul rest in peace.1Delete or hide this
- Mervelee Ratty Nembhard Ta Nicole Mcdonald we are privileged to encounter some remarkable persons along life’s journeys. & although things may not have worked out as we expected, we can still treasure those precious moments. I am sure she appreciated your cooking my dear as Mama loved her food no ends!Edit or delete this
- Mervelee Ratty Nembhard Every 1 is welcome Nicole Mcdonald! Mama’s funeral is an open invitation to those who wished to attend. Just talking to my breda who said the funeral will be a Celebration of Mama’s Life! She had a wonderful innings of 90 & counting! Will publish when I will be in JA as soon as I get sorted?Edit or delete this
- Tina-lee Buckham Ur a writer nice1Delete or hide this
- Jasmine Hylton Goodbye miss Lou .1Delete or hide this
- Megan Campbell Aunt Lou, may your soul rest in peace.1Delete or hide this
- Stephane Lewis Then its alright muma!! She’s free at last so its REST TIME!!!1Delete or hide this
- Eric Lawrence Hi Ratty sorry to hear about your lost. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.1Delete or hide this
- Laela Skyye Oh no! Teach, i am so sorry for your loss… It is good to see you celebrating and giving thanks for her life. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you and family. Much love… Karla1Delete or hide this
- Glendon Stewart I got the new yesterday as I posted the pics. Very sorry to hear but we know that these things will happen. Keep strong.1Delete or hide this
- Patricia Sessions Very sorry to hear that your mom passed away. May she R.I.P.1Delete or hide this
- Pauline Grant-Clarke Condolences to the Nembhard family may her soul rest in peace1Delete or hide this
- Mervelee Ratty Nembhard That’s 2014 and in 2020 there’s #GeorgeFloyd death causing CHANGE .Edit or delete this
Write a comment…